What! I'm 25! How did this happen? As far as time goes I think that the last 5 years have gone by the fastest. It only seems like yesterday that I was just turning 20. Although I'm still pretty young I can feel my age starting to creep in. Sort of like it's hiding around the corner behind me, waiting. The older I get the less confident I feel about doing crazy things. I want to keep age at bay for as long as possible. It has come to my mind that the older you get the more you wish you where a kid again. When you actually got summers off from school. Work was optional depending on how good you were at sweet talkin' your parents. Although, you had the option to sleep in who did? It seemed like just because you didn't have to get up you were up at 7 am to watch Cartoons. My favorite cartoons were Scbooy-Doo and My little Pony.
One comfort that I do have about getting older is that My Parents are also getting old. My Dad used to tease me about getting old a few years ago when I reminded him he is almost 50, and is on the verge of a fully gray beard. I like to tease them about their gray hairs.
Because I'm a quarter of a century old I decided to look up some historical things that have happened since I've been born. I'm sure that there are things I may have missed but I pick things that I was familiar with or liked.
1985: Ford Taurus is First Produced, We had one of these when I was in high school. Mind you a new version.
26 Apr 1986 Chernobyl Disaster - Nuclear Reactor Explodes, Causing Worst Nuclear Disaster in History
1987 Mar 6 "Raising Arizona" Is Released . I only put this because I’ve seen it.
1988 Mar 30 "Beetlejuice" Is Released , What a great movie.
1989 Jun 4 Tiananmen Square Massacre
1990 Louis Armstrong inducted into Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as an early influence Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees fall into three categories: artists (eligible 25 years after the release of their first recording), early influences (pre-rock pioneers) and nonperformance.
1991 Lance Armstrong becomes U.S. National Amateur Champion, I didn’t realize this guy was such a diehard.
July 1992 Mattel released Teen Talk Barbie and Hurricane Andrew struck
1993 Apr 7 The Sandlot released Ok it seem like the onlu thing that I cared about when I was a kid was TV
1994 January 6 – In Detroit, Michigan, Nancy Kerrigan is clubbed on the right leg by an assailant, under orders from figure skating rival Tonya Harding's ex-husband. I loved Nancy!
1995 April 19 – Oklahoma City bombing: 168 people, including 8 Federal Marshals and 19 children, are killed at the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building. Timothy McVeigh and one of his accomplices, Terry Nichols, set off the bomb.
1996 July 5 – Dolly the sheep, the first mammal to be successfully cloned from an adult cell, is born at the Roslin Institute in Midlothian, Scotland.
1997 August 31 , Diana died in a car crash
1998 April 22 – The Disney's Animal Kingdom theme park at Walt Disney World opens to the public for the first time.
1999 May 1 – SpongeBob SquarePants made its debut on Nickelodeon (TV Channel) on this day with its first episode is Help Wanted/Reef Blower/Tea at the Treedome.
2000 December 13 – Bush v. Gore: The U.S. Supreme Court stops the Florida presidential recount, effectively giving the state, and the Presidency, to George W. Bush.
2001 9/11
2002 February 8–24 – The 2002 Winter Olympics are held in Salt Lake City, Utah.
2003 I graduated From High School!
2004 Thursday 21: The Boston Red Sox win the American League pennant, defeating the New York Yankees 10-3 in Game 7 of the American League Championship Series, capping off a remarkable comeback from three games to none down to win.
2005 The first Twlight book was released
2006 A swan with Avian Flu is discovered in Cellardyke in Fife, Scotland (the first case in the United Kingdom). AHHHHHHH! BIRD FLU!
2007 The final book of the Harry Potter series, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, is released and sells over 11 million copies in the first 24 hours, becoming the fastest selling book in history. I really liked these books until the author came out and said that one of the characters was supposed to be a homosexual.
2008 Fidel Castro announces his resignation as President of Cuba, effective February 24
2009 Swine Flu!
2010 Massive Oil Leak in The Gulf on Mexico.
1 comment:
Wow big sis, you are getting so old. hehe I can only say this because I will always be younger than you. =p It's weird that I remember most of those happenings, now I feel old. Don't worry, though, it's my husband's turn next year, then we can all make fun of him, too.
Love you,
Jaks
Post a Comment